1.6.17

An Ode to Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur


Words by Rupi Kaur 
Photos by @Louloupotin


fall 

in love
with your solitude


you might not have been my first love

but you were the love that made 
all other loves seem 
irrelevant

love will come
and when love comes
love will hold you
love will call your name
and you will melt
sometimes though
love will hurt you but 
love will never mean to
love will play no games
cause love knows life
has been hard enough already



the very thought of you

has my legs spread apart
like an easel with a canvas
begging for art
 



i do not want to have you
to fill the empty parts of me
i want to be full on my own

i want to be so complete
i could light a whole city
and then
i want to have you
cause the two of
us combined
could set it
on fire


how is it so easy for you
to be kind to people he asked

milk and honey dripped
from my lips as i answered 

cause people have not
been kind to me


i am a museum full of art
but you had your eyes shut


The kindest words my father said to me
Women like you drown oceans


i want to apologise to all the women
i have called pretty
before i’ve called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you’re born with
is all you have to be proud of
when your spirit has crushed mountains
from now on i will say things like, you are resilient
or, you are extraordinary.
not because i don’t think you’re pretty
but because you are so much more than that


it was when I stopped searching for home within others
and lifted the foundations of home within myself
I found there were no roots more intimate
than those between a mind and body
that have decided to be whole


you must
want to spend
the rest of your life
with yourself
first


you are snakeskin
and i keep shedding you somehow
my mind is forgetting
every exquisite detail of your face

the way your fingers used to
light fire under my skin
is slipping me

the letting go has

become the
forgetting
which is the
most pleasant
and saddest thing
to have happened


i didn't leave because i stopped
loving you i left cause the
longer i stayed the less
i loved myself


i thank the universe 
for taking away
everything it has taken
and giving to me
everything it is giving


your art
is not about how many people
like your work
your art 
is about
if your heart likes your work
if your soul likes your work
it's about how honest
you are with yourself
and you 
must never 
trade honesty 
for relatability


i have
what i have 
and i am happy 

i’ve lost
what i’ve lost
and i am
still
happy


e

No comments:

Post a Comment